Monday, June 30, 2008

Patriotic cake


I made this cake for a 12-year-old's birthday. They wanted an Independence Day cake since she's born on July 4th. I see so many flaws, but they all liked it. This was my first fondant-covered cake. I used the premade Wilton fondant, and boy it doesn't taste good. Fortunately there's buttercream icing under it.

I'm going to lay off making more cakes until after my Wilton Class 1 in two weeks. I can't wait!

Oh, and cake decorating isn't very compatible with stitching. After messing with coloring paste, my hands were dyed first blue and then red. Fortunately it all mostly washed off after a while, but I was scared to touch my stitching this weekend (not that I had much time).

The next finishing piece for the Monthly Finishing Challenge is a scissor pocket. I have a chart of a scissor pocket, so I'm ready to stitch this time: Boo Keeper by Drawn Thread. I think I have a suitable piece of fabric for it.

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh my gosh! This cake is amazing. I'm totally impressed.

Sara said...

It may not taste good but the fondant looks great!

Library Overlord said...

That's awesome! I'm not a very patriotic person, but that cake is amazing!

Sharon said...

The cake looks great Michelle!

Ruth said...

Wow! I want to come for cake! That turned out beautifully-- flaws? what flaws? I can't wait to see what you get up to after class!

Oh, and your roses by Chatelaine are stunning!!!!!

Michelle said...

What a fabulous cake! I love the twisted part between the two layers!

Kim B said...

What a gorgeous cake!!