Saturday, April 18, 2015

Convent's Herbal Garden Part 4

This picture came out a little better. I still have an outer border and then the gates beyond that. I had to order some floss I was missing (substituting for horrible Marlitt).

I got in some Just Nan mice and an owl. I'm looking forward to stitching those little pieces after this one.

Last weekend, a few of my local stitching friends got together to stitch and say goodbye to a friend going to Qatar. Loads of fun (and bittersweet)! We'll be taking a trip to ABC Stitch Therapy soon too -- can't wait!

Saturday, April 04, 2015

Convent's Herbal Garden Part 3

I finished the third part, but of course I messed up so many times that I ran out of my kit floss (nothing new). Matt went with me to the Needleworks to get some more Caron Waterlilies. Ouch, expensive! But at least now I don't have to twiddle my thumbs while I wait on floss to come in.

The color's off in the photo -- the fabric is actually white.

I also bought some new knobs for my floor stand. I get corrosion from the constant movement of steel on brass. Am I the only one?

Friday, March 27, 2015

Part 1 of Chatelaine

I started Chatelaine's Convent's Herbal Garden the first day of spring break. I'm further along than this, but I took this photo at the end of part 1. More photos soon!

The chart for this one isn't easy to read, but I'm enjoying it pretty well. Silk floss is verra nice. :)

Sunday, February 22, 2015

TW's Day HD

I just finished Day designed by Teresa Wentzler. I've had this chart since around 1991 when I was 21. I remember finding Day and Night during one of our infrequent trips to Michael's. I flipped over it and immediately bought the supplies. Of course, I bought aida instead of linen, which never would have worked.

Years later when I returned to cross stitch, I discovered this designer I loved and realized I had two of her charts. Night was the second piece by TW I stitched. I figured it was about time I stitched Day to go with it.

I plan to get both pieces framed by Jill Rensel when money permits. Maybe as another Christmas/birthday present I pick out for myself. :)

I'm considering a Chatelaine mandala, Convent's Herbal Garden, next. That's another one I've had for a while.

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Day stitching complete

I finished the stitching on Day tonight. Next is the backstitching and specialty stitches, which is why she's looking so washed out. Oh, and then there will be beading. I might actually finish next weekend!

Monday, January 19, 2015

Inner border of Day backstitched

As expected, the backstitching made a world of difference. Now I get to the more interesting stitching of the inner motif. I first need to do some organizing and pre-blend my lengths of floss. I do like organizing, so this is fun too.

Kiddie Reading

Despite Logan's behavioral problems at school, I have noticed a marked improvement in his reading. It's amazing how they go from the alphabet to reading pretty darn well from kindergarten to first grade. I bought some of the level 2 Star Wars Rebels books, and he went right through them. Time to order more books. I like that the publishers label the reading level because it's hard sometimes to find something appropriate for him to read. He's in first grade, but level 2 seems to be just right for him. He doesn't get every word but enough to give him confidence in his reading.

Monday, January 12, 2015

Inner border of Day finished

I finished the inner border of TW's Day and figured that would be a good place to take a WIP photo (thought it's not very good since it's still on scroll rods). I haven't yet backstitched it, and I'll take another photo after I do. There's a lot of it, so it will take a while. Backstitching isn't my favorite thing, but it sure does make everything pop.

I made one mistake (as far as I know). Instead of my usual method of making cards for each symbol, punching six holes, and preblending a length, I was impatient and just made one card with a few holes and blended as I went along. For one color, I came up uneven -- I had inadvertently grabbed two lengths of the same color somewhere along the way. The two colors are very close, so I can't tell where the mistake is. I guess that means it's not a big deal, but it irritates me. This is the trouble with being a perfectionist -- being unable to let it go. But I'm trying my best and will attempt to ignore the problem.

I also won't be taking another shortcut. For the rest of the piece, I'll be making up my cards and sticking them in individual baggies like I usually do. Bad stitcher, bad!


Every year, I take inventory of my son's Lego collection. He tends to play with his masterpieces around the house and loses pieces. I try to enforce the rule of one set out, one set in (keyword: TRY), but many times he has things scattered around. So I check that each set has every piece it's supposed to (63 sets and counting). I call this protecting my investment. My husband calls it insanity. This takes me months because it's so boring. However, I'm almost done except for three big sets and have ordered the missing pieces (from sellers on Bricklink, a sort of eBay for Lego).

So this leads me to getting more involved in his sets, which made me look at customized minifigures. Uh-oh, new hobby. I've ordered a few pieces and am going to try creating my own decals. We'll see how it goes. One of my goals for the new year was trying new crafts, so voila. Like many crafts, it can get expensive once you delve into it.