Monday, May 02, 2011

Gingerbread Stitching House fob



I've been working on Victoria Sampler's Gingerbread Stitching House for a while, but I decided to do the finishing on the fob, which I've had stitched for a while now. It's very tiny and very cute. But am I satisfied? Not quite. The instructions called for 2-ply mat board, which I didn't have, so I used 4-ply. That made it a little bulky, which makes the stitching around the edge a little stretched and not very nice looking. I did a second round of stitches around the edge, which helped some, but it still bugs me. I should have just left the mat board out. Even with 2-ply, I think it would have been too bulky. I'm not going to restitch it, so I'll have to make myself be satisfied with it. I really wish I didn't drive myself crazy like this. I try to remind myself of something a friend once told me: If you want perfect, a machine will give you perfect. Something being handmade means it's imperfect, and that's what makes it beautiful.

3 comments:

Giovanna said...

Well, it looks perfect enough and very cute to me :-)
I also really like your' friend's attitude.

Jo said...

I love it!
Your friend is right. One of my friends always reminds our stitching group that mistakes and imperfections show something is hand made, and reminds us that eastern rugs often have a deliberate mistake in, as 'only Allah is perfect' - a very good way to think about it!

Alice said...

Striving for perfection keeps us striving. Goodness knows how dull it would be if everything turned out just right.... we'd never have to try new things! I think it is really cute.