Saturday, October 25, 2014

Day progress


Here's my progress on Day by Teresa Wentzler. Yes, the photo is a little wonky because I have it on scroll rods and had to take a photo without undoing everything. I'm working on the flower border next. I find that it helps me to do the border first. I ride through the high of a new project to get through the less-exciting parts, and then once I'm a little tired of it, I get to do the more fun part. Though, honestly, it's nice to do some regular, uncomplicated stitching sometimes.

I've had this piece in my stash since I was in my early 20s. I'm mid-40s now. I bought it with my mom at Michaels some time after my dad died. Its companion, Night, was the second Teresa Wentzler I stitched, I'm sure there are some problems with it -- my eyelets have no holes to speak of in the middle, for one. I was afraid to pull the stitches tight. These two pieces will be examples of me as a novice and me a little more advanced. I doubt many people will be able to tell the difference, but I find it kind of cool.

I'd originally planned to stitch this on aida. Ha!

I'm also working on a Labyrinth sampler a friend asked me to stitch so that she can give it to her friend for Christmas. I'm super-excited about it, but Christmas isn't that far away. She told me, "No rush, it's for Christmas." I laughed and told her she had no idea how long cross stitch took. She said she was a starter, not a finisher! Still, I think I can make the deadline because the stitching is somewhat sparse, and they don't call me smoking needles for nothing.

The pics of my pieces framed by Jill Rensel are harder to get than I thought. The glass puts some glare on the piece, and I wind up with a photo of myself taking the picture. I'll have to figure something out.

Family update: My son just turned seven. He's getting to be so big! ADHD is still challenging, even with medication.I know ADHD kids can still succeed, but we're struggling. Never think that ADHD is made up because we know it's very real.

6 comments:

Blu said...

Lovely start!
Happy belated birthday to your son.

Andrea said...

Great progress on your sampler. Hope you meet that deadline, I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed for you. Happy Birthday to DS.

Suz said...

Happy belated to your son!

And your progress is fantastic! I will have made *none* for TWOctober... oops! haha.

Jan said...

A very lovely start! I have both DAY and NIGHT in my collection, maybe one day I'll stitch them too. I commend anyone who can start A TW doing the outside border and have it line up. Me, I'm a start in the middle stitcher. Looking forward to your next update on TW's DAY.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Snap! I have Day and Night in my stash from the same time frame! They may get to the top of the pile one day but I do like to look at them sometimes!

Happy Belated Birthday to your son. Why is ADHD so often spoken of in disparaging terms? My son has ASD and we've been very lucky with the acceptance he has found. Possibly due to the severity of the condition in his case. But other friends have had a terrible time, especially out in public when their child is having a meltdown.

barbara said...

Happy belated birthday to your son! :D ADHD is for real and I wish you all the best on this challenging journey.